Sunday, November 2, 2008

Entry 1- A Lovely Sunday.

It's been an unusually productive Sunday here today. I've started up a new blog in a bout of whimsy, mostly because I feel like I have a lot to write about, but not enough time to write it down in a journal, and certainly not any more goose feather quills with which to write it in the first place. (I'm not even going to mention the horrors of inking and blotting, as such terrors are unfair to beset upon an audience at the debut. It can wait.) So, in honor of that, I have a fairly brief first entry for my enthused public.

It's because I've accomplished something today that I'm sitting down to chronicle it, as I'm not sure when the opportunity for either shall present itself again. I had already pulled myself from the bed in the usual struggle this morning before I realized that one of my favorite holidays, Daylight Savings Time, was here again at last. So, I hopped back in, without remorse for once.

This productive trend might carry through the week, so I'm hopeful. (Some would take this opportunity to write about what they have coming up in the week, but forcing the audience to read through things twice is the mark of the inestimably priggish. Wait and see.)

After the usual Sunday morning affair, complete with sweet tea at lunch, I returned to the dorm and did some important cultural research before confronting the homework tasks for the weekend. I began with "Requiem for a German Past," from my possibly-soon-to-be-dropped German history class, but that's tomorrow's news. Full of Swagger, I cracked on for my closed book/notes take-home midterm which was an unusually arrangement, but I got to crack wise about Herodotus and throw that cow Sontag's presumptions into disarray. I enjoyed it. Suddenly, the fire alarm went off.

Apparently some girl in Section F had incinerated something in the kitchen, as girls at this college are often loathe to do. It's also the same reason every guy at this college have sets of protective ear coverings strategically placed around the dorm in the case of such an eventuality, ranging from greasy foam inserts to the fluffy pink earmuffs. The only causality was the guy in the shower.



Fortunately, I had already prepared for such a circumstance by inviting myself over to dinner at Sligh's, and swept up the rice, salad, extra croutons and dressing, movie case, and managed to salvage the eggs in the mad rush, but had to sacrifice my left eardrum as I bustled down the stairs. I was in a good humour though. I played a few bars on the harmonica as I waited.


It was a good night. Couldn't get Sligh to agree to more than one game of Halo, but we had watched the Untouchables before that. Sean Connery always puts me in a cheerfully destructive mood too. Maybe I'll sleep it off, but I doubt it. I'm keeping all my clocks at the old time this week so I feel more productive. So I'll just be really early for class. Or something.

No comments: